The five sense organs play a major role in every individual life since we consider all the sense organs important, but the eye is the most beautiful as well as the important sensory part of the human body. Do you know that the 4/5 of the sensation comes from the eye? For instance, one cannot recognize a person by smelling him or often hearing him, but one can read the facial expression of a person just because of the eye which is also a means of communication. A lot depends upon the vision organ, but things really become difficult when the capability reduces due to reasons like infections or diseases.
Probably, these infections may be due to the microorganism which cannot be seen with the naked eye, but found everywhere in air or it can be due to internal damage which is the other side of the situation. However, infections are often not limited to a single eye, still you need to find out the solution for things to protect the very delicate and important eye from getting damaged.
Very Common Eye Infections:
Stye or hordeolum:
Hordeolum is caused by the common bacteria known as staphylococcus, or “staph” that the human skin can over-produce and start infecting. Still this is a minor bacterial infection stays for a very short period of time and forms a red lump in the edge of the eye or eyelid. It is basically caused due to the blockage of the follicle of an eye splash. The sore or the swell that is also called the Stye can cause a serious type of pain, however, this infection is painful but not that serious.
Conjunctivitis or Pink Eye
Conjunctivitis is also known as pink eye or the red eye for the reason that its infection almost turns the eye red in color. The conjunctiva, the thin transparent layer that lines the inner surface of the eyelid, covers the white part of the eye is probably infected with this disease. Pink eye is caused due to the virus or some other reasons like an allergic reaction, smoke, chlorine in water etc. Conjunctivitis is communicable and can easily spread. The infection of the conjunctivitis is usually minor, but if not treated in the proper manner can lead to other serious problems.
Blepharitis causes the eye to reddened, swollen and appear scaly at its base. This is basically the cause of dry eye due to malfunctioning of the eyelids oil glands and the main cause for this is also hormone imbalance. This infection makes the vision blurry, crust the eyelashes and you can feel the eyes burning. This cannot be cured, but also, cannot be left untreated as it may cause injury to the eye tissue.
Keratitis is caused due to many reasons like dry eyes, chemical injury, bacterial, viral or fungal infection. It is the condition when the eye cornea gets inflamed, however, it can even affect the cornea deep inside. This disease can blur or decrease the vision, you may feel of something there in the eye, there may be difficulty to open the eyelids and the red eye with produce discharge and pain.
Orbital Cellulitis is caused due to Streptococcus pneumonia, beta-hemolytic streptococci or Staphylococcus aureus bacterial infection which spread via the paranasal sinuses. This causes when the infection spread into the eye socket from sinuses or from the blood. It is also known as retro-orbital cellulitis when it starts infecting the rear eye.
This is a very painful and dangerous disease which can even result in loss of vision, but in the beginning, it cause bulging of the eye and the eyelid, pain in eye movement and it can even affect the nearby area of the eye.
There may be so many causes for the Dacryocystitis, but the main cause may be the bacterial infection. This infection occurs in the tear duct or nasolacrimal duct of the eye and it can be very painful and is characterized by fever, tearing, pain, swelling over the inner aspect of the lower epiphora or eyelid and redness.
Home Treatment for Such Types of Eye Infections
Blepharitis infection is related to the oil gland of the eye and to soften the crust and to lose the oil debris you can follow this remedy at home. This remedy can also give enough relief in case you are suffering from Stye or conjunctivitis or other eye infections as the warm water gives heat that compresses the increased blood circulation and helps in healing the eye.
- Take a piece of clean cloth and wet it in very warm water
- Now, squeeze the cloth and put it on your closed eye for five minutes. Do this repeatedly.
- You can also wash your eye with the desired warm water and then dry it using the cloth.
Another solution for getting relief from the conjunctivitis irritation can be done at home using the Eye Bright (euphrasia) herb which is also a natural treatment for pink-eye.
- First, simmer the 1 tsp herb of eyebright in a cup of water for at least 10 minutes and after it cools down strain the liquid using a clean cloth properly and then use it to wash the eye two times daily.
- If you cannot go for this then another option is to go for homeopathy where they can provide you with euphrasia eye drops which can be used a few times daily unless the infection clears.
Turmeric is the best home treatment for the eye suffering from conjunctivitis or stye due to the anti-bacterial feature found in it. In the situation like any eye infections you often need to rub your eyes for relief, but this is not good as bacteria start increasing and the infections increase. But in that case, the turmeric dipped handkerchief can be used to give a simple one time move in the affected eye which could be safer than hand touch.
- You can mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in cups of water and put a few drops of this solution about three times in a day.
All these infections are caused somewhat due to bacterial infections so try avoiding the eye getting infected due to bacteria every time and this can be best done using the distilled water as tap water or water from any source may contain microorganisms. The home made Saline solution is also a very good remedy for itchy and inflamed eyes.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in filled cup of water and boil this solution.
- After the solution cools down to use it to rinse the affected eye.
- Follow this treatment a couple of times in a day to get enough relief.
You might have never heard about the Colloidal Silver, but it is one of the age-old remedies for ears, eye, nasal problem, throat or even food poising or urinary infections. It can be used in the eye infection at times of conjunctivitis or Stye.
- The ointment of colloidal silver which is easily available in the market can be used around the eye to prevent itching.
- The Colloidal silver two drops in the eye, twice and thrice a day can be used until the infection clears.
Licorice root and Honey
Licorice root and honey both are having antibacterial properties. Where honey can kill harmful bacteria Licorice has anti-inflammatory components that could reduce swelling and comfort the surface of the eye. However, Licorice root is the therapeutic home remedy for conjunctivitis and Keratitis, but you need to consult it with your doctor.
- Thoroughly mix equal parts of honey and distilled water.
- Using a clean cotton ball, apply the solution to the eye.
- Use this treatment 2 or 3 times a day until symptoms have cleared.
- You can also put a drop of honey directly in the eye. Natural tearing, in this case, will help the patient get rid of any dirt, debris or discharge in the eye.
We often consider green tea than the black when it comes to the health of a person as we all know that green tea is very rich in nutrients and is also very light and healthy for human body. But do you know that Green tea can also help to prevent your eyes from infections? As the green tea is rich in tannic acid it reduce the pain and proves healthy for the eye in the infected situation.
- Soak 2 green tea bags in hot water like you do for making tea and then squeeze out the excess water
- Now, put both the tea and the tea bags in the refrigerator to cool.
- Now, you can use both the things for your eye. The tea could be used to wash your eye and cold tea bags can be placed on the closed eyes for 10 to 15 minutes for getting relief. Use this remedy twice or thrice a day till the infection clears.
The home remedies could give relief, but always try to consult a doctor in any such type of circumstances.
You can search us again :
- periorbital cellulitis home treatment